Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stage 10 - Sigmaringen, Germany... training until London

I am now living in Sigmaringen, Germany the home of one of the German triathlon teams - ALZ. It's great to have some company in the way of other athletes to keep me on track during the next week. With all of the racing I have done over the last few weeks I haven't really done any significant training so it is hard to get back into the swing of heavy volume and intensity.

My room.

Upon arrival here I could not help but laugh. I feel like I am back at swim camp from when I was in middle school and high school. I have a room to myself, which is nice, but it is a little bit like a "cell" which I suppose is good because it motivates me to get out of my room and off to train. There is a community kitchen and bathroom that we share and a washer and dryer, so pretty much everything that I really need. I'm so grateful to James Elvery (NZL) for offering me a place to stay here and to Elmer (who runs the team) for allowing me to stay.





The riding here is so beautiful. The Danube River originates not far from here, so we biked along the side of it for a while yesterday as it is still quite narrow at this point. The "canyon" area which lasts for about 30k, is magnificent and there are plenty of hills and climbing to be found off of that stretch. It is rather quiet here too, as far as car traffic goes, so that makes riding really pleasant. Today, I will head out for a longer run on some trails. It has been a while since I was able to go on a decent length run, so I am quite excited for it. However, I was told to be aware of military men who may appear around the corner at anytime as the trails run through property they use for training.

All in all, it is just another stop on what has been a fantastic adventure in Europe thus far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna,
I have been reading about your travels every day and I really enjoy it-good job on all the races.
My boyfriend and I used to race for ALZ-we spent a few nights in those "cells" too :-)
We live in Flagstaff, AZ now.

Good luck on your next race-don't forget to go to the Baeckerei and get some baked goodies there (that's what I miss a lot since I left Germany).

Have fun,
Angi